Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

Eone i used to date told me they tested positive for

Customer Question

eone i used to date told me they tested positive for chlamydia. They were given 2 500mg tablets of azithromycin to treat it tk take as a single dosage. I have taken 2 500mg tablets of cefadroxil and have never had symptoms.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No i dont have any allergies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had the iud, meriena dor
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually using cefadroxil would not eliminate the bacteria from your body. The reason is that cefadroxil is an antibiotic which kills only a certain type of bacteria such as streptococcus and its various species. Now if you had intercourse with this person within the last 3-6 weeks then it would be wise to use 1 g of azithromycin to prevent the development of chlamydia related symptoms. In some patients you may NOT develop any symptoms at all and you would need to get tested to find out whether you are infected or not. My recommendation is that you first get tested and see if you are infected or not. If you are then the ideal antibiotic to use would be azithromycin 1 g as a single dose only once. Cefadroxil would not be effective here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you write me a Rx for azithromycin?

Unfortunately we cannot prescribe online as that would be illegal. A prescription can only be given if a doctor patient relationship is formed which can only be formed after an in person office visit which is not possible here. You can visit your nearest urgent care center or visit your doctor for a prescription.

Do you have any more questions?