Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

Brother having emergency surgery and I need to fly to FL. 2

Customer Question

brother having emergency surgery and I need to fly to FL. 2 weeks ago I was told I had a bruised eardrum due to a severe head cold. I was on an antibiotic and most symptoms are gone, except for the left ear still feeling clogged/muffled. Is it safe to fly today?
JA: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?
Customer: no fever; just left over symptoms of cold: some nasal dripping and some mucus expelled from throat--not much of either now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your brother and your illness. Unfortunately if your ear is still feeling clogged and muffled that means that there is still some residual inflammation left inside the ear. So if you fly today with these symptoms, there is a chance that you will experience severe ear pain and worsening of the symptoms, so i would not recommend that you do so. I understand the urgency but it would not be safe to fly and because of the pressure changes the bruised eardrum can worsen and in some severe cases it may even rupture. If it is possible travel by road or via train but i would not recommend you to fly today in your current condition.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/