TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

I am a 400-lb woman with swollen legs and lymphodema (sp.).

Customer Question

I am a 400-lb woman with swollen legs and lymphodema (sp.). I have a water blister on my leg. What ointment should I use. Previously I had a visiting nurse who dressed a previousl wound. I use saline solution to keep it clean and cover with a bandage for drainage and keep out dirt. What advice can you offer? Thank You, ***** *****
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: The wound seems to be draining and the blister skin is broken. No additional swelling/no soreness/nothing scary.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had a few days of anxiety and depression but that is under control these past few days. I'm 69 years old, fat, diabetic and try to minimize salted food.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 6 months ago.

If it is just a blister and not infected at present- no redness, no pus- then you don't need an antibiotic.

There are all kinds of medicated dressings that would help, but as good as any would be applying a little vaseline to keep the site moist, and a gauze dressing over the top.

If it does develp signs of infection secondarily, at that point it would be reasonable to apply a topical antibiotic.

Good luck

Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 5 months ago.

Did that help?