Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I am traveling, staying in New York. Returning to Colorado

Customer Question

Hi. I am traveling, staying in New York. Returning to Colorado Wednesday. Day before yesterday I felt something internally rip or tear . . . not sure what. I think it might have been a pulled muscle, but I was doing nothing at the time but returning to my seat in a restaurant to sit down after using the rest room. It was real scary for a minute but then subsided. These last two days I have been real sore on the left side. I was told about May that I have diverticulitis . . . I think I am fine but am very sore on the left side. How can I tell either what is going on or to ignore it?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: This happened after the Macy's Parade--which is what we came to see. Just as soon as we could walk to a café and get inside as it was getting real cold out. Whatever happened it took my breath away for a few seconds and I had never felt like that. Then I could move and I can still move, have remained active, seeing sights and walking around. But when I go to lie down or lean I am very sore either way I move, left or right. But it seems to be nothing I can touch or get at by touching. Also the night before, Wednesday, I fell all the way down after missing a step--I blame this on my bifocals--I really skinned my knee. But that was it, nothing in the torso area--so I don't know, its fine if I am sitting up straight. I am real uncomfortable lieing down. I almost sought out an emergency room last night as I was getting worried about what this is. Then I slept okay so moved on, now its night, I am trying to get comfortable on the bed and its back to being rather uncomfortable. I estimate it as side pain, underneath the bra line and above the waiste.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was told in May I have non-alcoholic fatty liver, probably from a fatty diet after my gall bladder was removed in 2007, and diverticulitis. Otherwise I am pretty healthy. I just gotta get control of my diet.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 2 months ago.

Hello

I'm Dr Brims and will be happy to help you

Is the pain sharp or dull?

Is it constant?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is both sharp and dull if that makes any sense. If I lean to the left like getting off the bed, it really hurts. So then I don't move that way but am aware that it is still there.

Okay, any bulging or swelling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I can tell. If I breathe really deep its there. But I can stretch and just get by it. I have been more active traipsing around NYC than I have been in months, but its so much fun. But I don't know if I really hurt something, busted a gut and have internal problems or what.

You most likely have a strained muscle, which should subside with time, usually a few weeks. I often treat patients with ibuprofen, Aleve or other anti-inflammatory drugs when they have this condition

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, that is what I need to know. I think I am supposed to avoid Ibuprofen and choose Tylenol, so I will have to pick up some of that, I usually try to stay away from OTCD. But thank you. I needed some reassurance that I shouldn't run to the ER or make drama if need not to.

You're quite welcome

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have insurance and can get to a doctor if need to.

The symptoms you have described don't make me think you need to go to an ER

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. Aging is scary--64. I hope I have a long way to go and need to stay healthy.

I encourage you to try and stay healthy, it will help. Please let me know if you have any other questions on this topic you would like me to help answer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I am okay with this, thank you and best wishes Happy Thanksgiving.

You're quite welcome

If you have no other questions you may click a rating button to end the session