Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I think there is a correlation between hair dye and people

Customer Question

I think there is a correlation between hair dye and people who are prone to seizures. Sunday, I had my hair dyed and that night suffered a grand mal seizure.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have previously been diagnosed with complex partial seizures. Was given Depakote for a number of years, suffered tremendous brain fog. Took a new test, a Quantitative EEG and passed it with flying colors. I was then weened off the Depakote because of non-seizure activity for over 2 years (post-menopausal).
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 16 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well in regards ***** ***** dye and there direct link to seizures in the brain, so far there is no concrete scientific proof that using hair dye can trigger a seizure in a patient who has been previously diagnosed with epilepsy. This factor has been brought up before by other patients as well however there is still no proven link between the two. That being said it is possible that you may be triggering your epilepsy because of an indirect link here. The hair dye could be stimulating the brain via its smell/odor, there have been studies which showed that certain odors can trigger a seizure in some patients by triggering certain neurons. In addition it is possible that you had another triggering factor here which could have led to the seizure. Infact in many situations the trigger cannot be identified at all however that being said if using hair dye every time results in another seizure then i would seriously consider it a factor. A simple way would be to avoid getting your hair dyed at the same location for the next few months (that is if you get a seizure after every session) and if you dont get any seizures after stopping teh hair dye then we can consider that the fits are due to teh dye.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/