Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What does EOS% of 22.4, ALT of 56 and AST 39 mean?

Customer Question

I just received a full lab workup. Everything looked good with the exception of EOS% of 22.4 and ALT of 56 AST was 39. What does this indicate?
I was given a copy after my physical, nothing was said. I'm just now reviewing. I take 300 mg allopurinol daily and 12 mg warfarin daily. Several vitamins daily.
Gout and factor V is why I take meds
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 15 days ago.

Eosinophils are raised in allergic disorders. Medications too occasionally may raise eosinophils. The lab work is seen in the context of overall results. So rest of the normal lab results, your symptoms, signs, physical examination findings, medical imaging etc all would be taken in consideration to draw the conclusion.

AST and ALT too are very mildly raised. The most common explanation again is medicines, you are taking, which can raise them.

Hope the following points further will clear the raise in your liver enzymes;

1) The liver function tests may be abnormal even in patients with a healthy liver.

2) Studies evaluating the clinical significance of these abnormalities have demonstrated that serious underlying liver disease is uncommon in many individuals.

3) Just this level of enzyme elevation is found in almost 10% of cases without any disease.

4) Only a persistent increase of two fold for three months (tests repeated at monthly interval) will need further studies or invasive investigations like liver biopsy.

5) The other causes should be observed if there is no history of any medications, alcohol abuse and investigation for hepatitis B and C are normal and there are no medical evidence of the following diseases (which can elevate these enzymes); muscle disorders, thyroid disorders, celiac disease, adrenal insufficiency and anorexia nervosa.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.