Scott Rebich
Scott Rebich, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Resident physician
96592888

I'm experiencing severe anxiety from acute circumstances in

Customer Question

I'm experiencing severe anxiety from acute circumstances in my life, and I had been taking Ativan to help me with my anxiety, panic, and sleeplessness. My psychiatrist passed away, and I must wait a month and a half to get in with the new psychiatrist. I need to have this prescription refilled-- but nobody wants to do it. I understand they are having stricter regulations, but when somebody needs it for a short period of time-- I think it should be more available-- and that practitioners should discern individual patient circumstances, instead of creating an umbrella that makes it so difficult for anyone to get anxiety medication prescribed by anybody. Do you have any suggestions that would provide me with more success? Just looking at what steps I might be able to take to get this accomplished. Thank you
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 13 days ago.

Hi there,

Ativan and Xanax are great medications for anxiety, but they are not long term therapy options. Ultimately, this is why you can not find anyone to fill them. Selective-serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) are efficacious in the long term treatment of anxiety disorder. Buspirone also has been shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety, offering similar efficacy to benzodiazepines without the risk of dependence.

If I were you, I would switch to one of these medications.

Benzodiazepines are efficacious in the treatment of anxiety, generally decreasing emotional and somatic symptoms within minutes to hours. However, concerns about risks of dependence and tolerance have contributed to a decline in their use. They are better to be used in acute, short term anxiety in combination with an SSRI or SNRI.

Let me know if you have any additional questions please.

If not, please rate my services.

Expert:  Scott Rebich replied 10 days ago.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. Rebich" in the medicine categories if you have other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com