Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I fell in a campfire in early sept. The burns are still

I fell in a campfire in early sept. The burns are still weepy and my hip, which landed on the bottom edge of the fire ring hurts more every day
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Since the fall. Laying on my back eases pain but it never goes away
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I fall a lot. MRI show white lesions on my brain.. neurologist says unable to determine if MS, TIA or what

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you

What is your age and gender?

What are your present medications?

How deep were the burns?

Is it possible for you to send a photo?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Female 55 Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Benadryl for the itchy burns . My hand was second degree my arm still hasn't healed but it was said to be third degree by emt
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My hip was bruised but not burned
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A picture of what?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My hip pain is getting worse and wakes me up

Okay, I just wanted to see the weeping burns. But third degree burns can take very long to heal. Was some grafting done?

What did your hip MRI show?

Are you overweight?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am about 50 pounds overweight. No hip MRI. Have not seen doc about hip

I am writing you an answer. It may take 15 minutes.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this stuff public

This thread can be seen by the other experts on the site.

But you can later ask the site support to remove the thread from public viewing.

The weeping burn sites are likely due to tiny dead space underneath the superficial tissue. This keeps on secreting the body fluids. A minor procedure of removing the thin later of skin, and dressing with saline soaks should be able to stop the oozing and heal it completely around 2 weeks.

Your hip pain is likely to be hip osteoarthritis, which is degenerative disease of joint (age related changes). You would need MRI of the hips which will ascertain the severity of the changes in joint. An advanced arthritis (which means severe pain, night pain, continuous pain) would need total hi replacement. Since your pain gets better on lying down this may or may not be advanced arthritis. Apart from the analgesic you are taking; following would help you, meanwhile;

1) Physical therapy; this is the mainstay of the management of the osteoarthritis. Stretching exercises, strengthening exercises, mild weight bearing exercises, swimming on the week-ends etc would be helpful.

2) Deep electrotherapy; this entails going to physical therapy center and take care of specific issues which are more painful.

3) Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements

4) Diacerin too can be tried which suppose to regenerate the cartilage.

5) Local analgesic sprays

6) Mild massage

7) Consideration of hyaluronic acid injection in the joints. Some physician may inject steroid too for the pain relief.

8) Warm shower in morning would open up the joints.

9) Capsaicin (Zostrix, ArthriCare) is an irritant derived from chili peppers that provide relief by depleting a chemical that transmits pain from nerve endings. Various strengths are available without prescription. (It causes a burning sensation thus one has to be careful while applying and should wear a disposable plastic glove).

10) Acupuncture; most popular forms of alternative or complementary medicine, particularly for pain relief.

11) Analgesic patches too are available for the pain relief.

I would also suggest an MRI of the spine or lower back. Sometimes pinched nerves in back are the concomitant cause of the hip pain and that should be ruled out.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. So you do not think I injured it in the fall.. since the area was very bruised and it had not troubled me before I reasoned it was from falling. Thank you for all the information. The burn on my arm is very problematic so I will go see a doctor about the burn and the hip. We just moved so I don't have a dr yet thank you for also not saying all this is because I am fat. I try to walk for weight loss but the hip can't do it for long before I get pains down the front of my thigh and my foot.

You are very welcome.

The fall usually precipitate the osteoarthritis as the soft tissues (muscles and ligaments) are no longer supporting it as efficiently. The MRI will show this soft tissue component too with the joint. So that can be addressed by deep electrotherapy done at physical therapy centers. Meanwhile physiotherapy exercises should be able to give certain relief.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

The lower back and hips function as a single unit; though for ease of explanations we talk about them as separate system, but they work in tandem. A fall could have traumatized your lower back too. It may have caused injury to the tail bone, termed coccycodynia. This can also give you pinched nerves causing pain in leg and foot.

Strong pain reliever like narcotics may be given to you, if pain is significant and severe. Warm sitz bath will help you three times a day. Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin / Advil / Aleve are also beneficial with the narcotic analgesics. One has to sit on sorbo rubber ring for a while, so pressure on the tail bone does not occur while sitting. This will heal the inflammation to the tail bone and relieve the pain. The comprehensive treatment entails:

1) kegel exercise

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119

2) steroid injections,

3) Botulinum toxin injections

4) sitting only on sorbo rubber ring (available over the counter at pharmacy)

5) deep therapy modalities like electrical stimulation, interferential, short wave diathermy or ultrasound.

Read about coccycodynia;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccydynia

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/