A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I'm just looking for answers for my husband...his right hand

Customer Question

I'm just looking for answers for my husband...his right hand is cold all the time, and his index finger particularly is very hard to warm up. Today his finger tip is kind of gray looking. He does have heart disease, and had a stent placed in one vessel in 2007 and has had no more symptoms since.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Husband's father and mother had different heart problems; his mother a hole in her heart that was repaired in her early adulthood, and later had an aortic valve replacement. His dad's heart just weakened and enlarged with no real clear explanation but he had also developed diabetes about this time.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My husband has always been very healthy and could run circles around even the grandkids, but I am concerned about circulatory problems throughout his body, from his cold hand to erectile problems.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

If you are near a walk-in clinic, he should go for an exam. If you aren't he may want to go to the ER. The coldness can come from lack of blood flow to the finger, which is serious. There is also the possibility he has something called Raynaud's phenomenon, which is a spasm of blood vessels. You can read more about it here:

http://www.medicinenet.com/raynauds_phenomenon/article.htm