A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I've recently just found out that I was pregnant, but within

Customer Question

I've recently just found out that I was pregnant, but within the last week I've experienced bleeding. It first occurred after having sex; it was very light then it went away. Just last night it's gotten a little heavier but the color is like a reddish brown, it looks like old blood. I have no pain or cramping, but its my first pregnancy and Im a little scared. I just want to know is that normal during the first trimester or should I call my my doctor?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I've been fine. I drink plenty of water, no smoking, and Im military so I do exercise regularly.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing irregular. I was on birth control but I've been off of it since July.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Minor bleeding (more like spotting, really) can happen in the first trimester (happens in about a quarter of all pregnancies) and isn't usually anything to be concerned about. When you sit on the toilet and see frank blood coming from your vagina or you are having cramping, that is serious. You need to wear a panty liner or pad so you can estimate the amount of bleeding. This can't be done with a tampon. If there is a lot of blood (more than spotting), you need to see your obstetrician immediately. If it will make you feel less anxious, you should call the ob and possibly go in for an exam. I don't want to upset you but about 15 to 20% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage during the first trimester, often due to genetic defects in the fetus. However, spotting or very mild bleeding is also quite common and doesn't necessarily mean anything serious at all.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~