A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

The joints in my fingers begin to hurt a couple of weeks

Customer Question

the joints in my fingers begin to hurt a couple of weeks ago, the second joint on my index finger has swollen up and it painful to bend it at all, it seems the swelling goes up and down as well as how much pain there is, any thoughts?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

I have a thought about this. The first thing to come to mind is gout, which can happen in any joint in the body, not just the big toe. It needs medication to improve. I'm afraid you are going to need to see your primary provider for a prescription. If you have no contraindications, you could try some naproxen (Aleve) for the pain. Ice in a washcloth for 10-15 mintues several times a day may also make you more comfortable. This helps relieve the swelling. However, you will need prescription medication to make it go away.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 15 days ago.

Did you need anything else on this question? If not, please don't forget the required rating (hopefully a "5").

Thanks!