Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I have psoriasis. and I want to know if any antiviral or

Customer Question

I have psoriasis. and I want to know if any antiviral or antibiotic or antifungals can treat it?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i have, only topical steroids. when i was off of it, it came back worse.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: uhmm
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for this question and i am sorry to hear about your psoriasis. Unfortunately psoriasis cannot be treated with anti fungal, anti viral medications or for that matter antibiotics either. This is because psoriasis is a disease which develops due to an autoimmune pathology. This means that it occurs because your body produces antibodies against certain cells in teh skin. This is why steroids are the first line of therapy for treating the condition. There are other treatment modalities which can prevent the reoccurrence of psoriasis. if steroids have not worked for you then you have other options which can include,

Topical retinoids

Topical vitamin D analogues

Calcineurin inhibitors

Salicyclic acid

Methotrexate or cyclosporine

If these drugs are not an option then light phototherapy is also another good option for you as well. I would suggest that you discuss these options with your doctor and see which one would fit well in your case. In short, antibiotics, antivirals etc dont work in psoriasis and you will need any of the above medications if your psoriasis is not responding to topical steroids or reoccurring frequently.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.