Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

What is a sail sign on an elbow xray and what does it

Customer Question

What is a sail sign on an elbow xray and what does it indicate
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience. I am reviewing your question and I will be with your momentarily! :)

The sail sign describes the lifting of a pad of fat in the front part of the elbow to create a silhouette similar to a billowing spinnaker sail from a boat. It means that there is a fluid within the joint.

In adults it usually means that there is radial head fracture, and in children supracondylar fracture

Does that answer your question? :)

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She had injru a week ago the splinted it. Rexrsyed today no change so they casted it. Im confused about the casting

They did that because there is a fracture within the joint, so it needs to be more stable and protected. Those are tricky to see in the elbow, so probably the first xray didn't show it.

Sorry, I read that wrong, it was seen on the first xray but because there is still a lot of fluid in the joint it was not healing with just the splint is my best guess.

I hope that I am explaining that well?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The xray is completely unchanged for a
Week ago
Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 15 days ago.

It sounds like that is why they put the elbow in the cast. That should definitely help to speed up the healing process. I hope she feels better soon! :)

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon!

Expert:  Aleksandra Frye replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Frye from Just Answers and I am wondering if you still needs help with your question? Thank you very much!