A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I had blood work 3weeks ago, said my b12 was 1987, my uric

Customer Question

I had blood work 3weeks ago, said my b12 was 1987, my uric acid was 5.9, my WBC &RBC was perfect. My neutrophils was low 46, lymphocytes high 34, monocytes high 16. Im not sure what thowe are. But I repeated the blood work My b12 is at 2387 now. That all they told me abd not too worryoung. No follow up, and my good cholesterol is a little high. I eat healthy, I don't eat fried foods at all, I'm 5'8" @124lbs.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Neutrophils, lymphocytes and monocytes are three types of white blood cells. When one or more goes up, others come down, because they always have to add up to 100%. The numbers you've given aren't concerning at all.

There is no such thing as having HDL cholesterol that is "too high." We want it to be at least 60 in women, but higher is better.

Why are they testing B12? Are you taking supplements?

Usually excess B12 is removed in the urine.

All "normal" levels vary by lab depending on what equipment they use. For instance. at my lab uric acid of 3.5 and 7.2 mg/dL is normal.

Please let me know what additional information you need about this.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I am currently seeing a pain management Dr. I have bulging disc, I have neuropathy in my feet, She was checking for rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc. I take pain meds only as needed. She just did a complete, I suppose, blood work up. I do not take supplements. I was mainly concerned with the elevated b12, and why it keeps rising. No biggie I suppose. I just worry, my sister was diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis. I was just concerned, things that never scared me, now do.

Usually excess B12 is eliminated in the urine. When it is elevated, that can point to kidney or liver disease. If it continues to rise, she will need to check for the reason.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~