A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I had a physical, breast exam and then my yearly mammogram

Customer Question

I had a physical, breast exam and then my yearly mammogram in Sept. Actually 2 months ago to the day. I am 56 yrs. old. I have had for the past 3 yrs. a benign intrammamory node in my right breast. I have recently been for whatever reason more aware of my breasts, as I have been taken off quite a few other medications due to another ailment...rsd in my right arm. In the past week; I have noticed a raised line that goes from my edge of my nipple to the nipple itself; I believe its been there for a long time..but coming off of so many medications I cannot be sure. I put a call into the gynecologist to find out if I should be alarmed. I have some raised bumps on the right circle area around the nipple on the right side but not quite the same. Should I be alarmed?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I now only take garabentin (Neurontin);300 mg. Lisprenil 10 mg. Xanax 01 mg. methodone 10 mg. Also I take a baby aspirin, CoQ10, Vitamin D3 and a prebiotic. I have been told to watch my caffeine intake; which lately I have not.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was hospitalized for renal failture Aug.1st for 2 days for dehydration. They blamed it on heat stroke I suffered a few wks b4 this & the Vicodin along with several other medications that I am presecribed for the reflex sympathetic dystrophy I have had for 10 years in my right arm. My liver function has returned to normal..have recently had a normal colonoscopy and liver blood tests.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 23 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Usually the lumps and bumps you notice on the areola are Montgomery glands, and they are completely normal. There are also lots of wrinkles and lines that are more noticeable at times. I've included a link at the bottom to some variations. One typical cause of a line is weight loss. In some women the resultant line looks like a surgical scar from a biopsy.

http://www.007b.com/nipple_gallery.php

There are a lot of pictures and every one of them is a variation of normal. Take a look and let me know if you think you have something unusual going on. or if you are just another variation.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 21 days ago.

Did you have additional questions you wanted to ask about this? If not, I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a “5”) since that is the only way I am credited with answering questions here. That is what makes Just Answer available 24/7.

Thanks!