Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I fell yesterday and hit my hand,pretty hard. It is swollen

Customer Question

I fell yesterday and hit my hand,pretty hard. It is swollen and hurts pretty bad. I dont know if i just busted the vein or not? Or what to do for it
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Can not hold anything with that hand. I am fairly healthy other than soriatic arthritis and was wondering if medicine i am on could be contributing to
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No just the soriatic arthritis
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 23 days ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach a picture of the hand here? Also what medications are you on for your psoriatic arthritis?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss further after you come back online.

Well from what you are describing it is clear that you have damaged your hand severely. The inability to hold anything in the hand does indicate that you may have damaged either the bones or the tendons of the hand. It is possible that you may have fractured one or more of the small bones of the hand and that is why you have the swelling, pain and also the inability to form a grip. This would need to be evaluated immediately with the help of a xray of the hand and if needed with the help of a MRI to rule out tendon damage in the hand. One more thing which needs to be done is that you have to start applying ice in the area for about 10-15 minutes upto 3 times a day. Start using OTC voltaren gel on the hand which usually doesnt interact with any psoriatic arthritis medications.

But it would be better that you get this evaluated ASAP by visiting the ER or urgent care center, i really do feel that you may have damaged the hand severely and there is likely to be one or more fractures in the hand given the amount of pain that you are in. In the meantime apply a compression bandage on the hand and keep it as elevated as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/