Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have ribbons of blood in my stool. No diarrhea or

Customer Question

I have ribbons of blood in my stool. No diarrhea or constipation. The stool is normal width and I have a bowel movement same time every day, once a day. No bloating or pain. There is no blood on the toilet paper after wiping. I had a CT of the colon,. Mild case of diverticulitis. I was on Cipro and flagyl. Blood went away . After 3 weeks of stopping meds, blood is back. I have a colonoscopy scheduled in December. I've left 2 messages with my GI. No return call yet and I am very concerned and anxious about the blood.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Hard to say. Because I have never had any other symptoms I can not be sure if the blood has been in my stool for some time or not as I never had cause to examine it. What prompted me to go to the Doc in the first place was about a month ago I had a really explosive (sorry for the graphics) bm. I looked in the bowl and there was blood. About a half hour later My skin felt hot, I had a fever of 101. Went to the Doc as stated above
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No history of any type of cancer. My parents are alive and well at 94. My two older siblings are both in their 70's and well. I just retired after 40 years of working and moved from New Jersey to Florida. It has honestly been a bit stressful.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 21 days ago.

My name is*****
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 21 days ago.

How old are you?

Did you have stool test?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 21 days ago.

Hello again,
I was waiting for your reply.

I am sorry for your symptoms.
Fever, explosive bowel movements are usual symptoms of an inflammation or infection.
Diverticulitis can cause those symptoms.
This can cause blood to appear on stool.
Other common causes are tear, hemorrhoid.
Cancer can cause blood to pass with stool.
But you do not have any family history, weight loss or change in stool character.
Bowel habit has not changed too.
It can be that diverticulitis has recurred.
However, in case of repeated passage of blood, colonoscopy should be taken to be on safe side.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish your good health.
Please rate my answer excellent if you are satisfied with it.
Regards.