Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn
88055251

Second opinion] - I have a concern about my pinky finger.

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Hello I have a concern about my pinky finger.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Pain in the first joint for months now, thought it would get better it hasn't. But the pain is constant. It jumps up and bites whenever I bang my hand on something or an object (even objects weighing just 2-3 lbs falls on my hand).
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: sorry the pain is not constant
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a diabetic, don;t think that comes into play here. But I will mention that.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 26 days ago.

Do you have a picture of this joint that I can view please?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Took a picture clicked add file. Not sure if you are getting it.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 26 days ago.

Could you show me a picture with the fingers stretched out/relaxed side-by-side?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 26 days ago.

Generally this kind of sensitivity happens when you get inflammation of the joint from various causes, even trauma.

Anything happen to your finger recently?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I don't know exactly. I know I have been dealing with it since the end of summer.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 26 days ago.

You can see it's a bit puffier than the other.

You likely have a mild case of arthritis in that joint, probably happened from a mild injury, sometimes too small to even notice.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 26 days ago.

What happens is the joint becomes really swollen and sensitive. Then any trauma to it sets it back off.

It's not anything dangerous or serious. The best way to manage it is to start exercising it, even if it hurts. Icing can help.

You can use capsacian over the counter which is a cream that is very effective for this kind of joint pain.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
That is what my dad thought it was. Can't believe I got that so young, ok thx for your help. I appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 26 days ago.

Well don't worry too much. It's not like you will have worsening symptoms, usually it doesn't get worse and doesn't mean you will get more arthritis later.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Please rate this answer if you don't have any other questions.

Otherwise please let me know.

-Dr. Mo

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I will rate you very highly if I can get a refund. For some reason this sight charges me an additional $17 after charging me $5 for getting a single question answered.
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 24 days ago.

Sure, I will submit your request.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 23 days ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D. I saw your question about a joint in your pinky. Sometimes, rheumatoid arthritis can present as an isolated joint inflammation on a hand. There is a blood test that can rule it out but if positive it can easily be treated and avoid having other joints start swelling without specific trauma. If the test is ok then some finger joints can hurt but it can clear up in time. Can take months sometime