Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn
88055251

Second opinion] - I have a concern about my pinky finger.

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Hello I have a concern about my pinky finger.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Pain in the first joint for months now, thought it would get better it hasn't. But the pain is constant. It jumps up and bites whenever I bang my hand on something or an object (even objects weighing just 2-3 lbs falls on my hand).
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: sorry the pain is not constant
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a diabetic, don;t think that comes into play here. But I will mention that.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Ashori replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a picture of this joint that I can view please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Took a picture clicked add file. Not sure if you are getting it.

Could you show me a picture with the fingers stretched out/relaxed side-by-side?

Generally this kind of sensitivity happens when you get inflammation of the joint from various causes, even trauma.

Anything happen to your finger recently?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know exactly. I know I have been dealing with it since the end of summer.

You can see it's a bit puffier than the other.

You likely have a mild case of arthritis in that joint, probably happened from a mild injury, sometimes too small to even notice.

What happens is the joint becomes really swollen and sensitive. Then any trauma to it sets it back off.

It's not anything dangerous or serious. The best way to manage it is to start exercising it, even if it hurts. Icing can help.

You can use capsacian over the counter which is a cream that is very effective for this kind of joint pain.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is what my dad thought it was. Can't believe I got that so young, ok thx for your help. I appreciate it.

Well don't worry too much. It's not like you will have worsening symptoms, usually it doesn't get worse and doesn't mean you will get more arthritis later.

Please rate this answer if you don't have any other questions.

Otherwise please let me know.

-Dr. Mo

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will rate you very highly if I can get a refund. For some reason this sight charges me an additional $17 after charging me $5 for getting a single question answered.

Sure, I will submit your request.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D. I saw your question about a joint in your pinky. Sometimes, rheumatoid arthritis can present as an isolated joint inflammation on a hand. There is a blood test that can rule it out but if positive it can easily be treated and avoid having other joints start swelling without specific trauma. If the test is ok then some finger joints can hurt but it can clear up in time. Can take months sometime