A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Ive just been to the doctor for my 2 year old son for a

Hi ive just been to the doctor for my 2 year old son for a viral infection and he was given amoxicillin syrup 1ml 4 times a day. Is this correct it doesn't seem like enough. He a solid boy 16 or 17 kilos. Had very high temps all weekend.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I saw a doctor an hour ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

What is the strength of the amoxicillin?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
125mh/5mlHe was told to take 1ml 4 times a day

Curious that amoxicillin was prescribed at all for a viral infection since viruses do not respond to antibiotics at all.

Usual dose for bacterial infections is 20 mg/kg/day, so for his weight 320 mg per day in 4 divided doses. That is 80 mg per dose. A 1 mL dose is 63 mg, which is close enough, especially if it is a viral infection which won't respond to antibiotics anyway.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Did you have additional questions about this before leaving a rating (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way I am credited with answering questions. This costs you nothing.

Thanks!

I'm told you still haven't rated.