Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about

Customer Question

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for about 5 months. Yesterday i started noticing twitching in my lower abdomen/uterus area. The twitching isn't painful, but very noticeable. It is centrally located, not specific to one side. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative, but I'm not due to start my period for another 10-12 days. Could I be pregnant?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain. Periods are regular. But I have Crohn's disease and a colostomy.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: 4 previous resection surgeries. I am under the care of an OBGYN in my area.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Let me at the outset tell you that twitching in lower abdominal area is unfortunately not the sign of pregnancy. As a matter of fact, none of signs and symptoms are reliable for the pregnancy. The only reliable test is either a urine pregnancy test or a blood test for HCG. These tests should be done, when period is missed for seven days.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The contractions you feel is likely to be muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch. Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/