A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My RDW is 15.58 and my glucose is 105. I was treated for h

Customer Question

My RDW is 15.58 and my glucose is 105. I was treated for h Pylori about 2 months ago they retested and it s negative. I have severe neasea very often. Any idea the next step.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? Are you taking any medications the doctor should know about?
Customer: well I had an h pylori test and regular blood work I have just scheduled a test with an gi doc I am taking Lipitor, Otezla, Estradial, Metformin ambien
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: blood pressure medicine
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: they did a br4eath test but it came back negative this time. I had the test doen in july and it was positive I took the treatment
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 23 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

What is normal at your lab for RDW? Were any other numbers on the CBC outside limits?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Just those 2

I had asked what the normal range was for RDW at your lab. Every lab has its own values for what it considers normal based on the types of equipment they use.

At my lab a normal RDW is 11.5 to 14.7%, so at my lab your 15.58 is just above the higher level of normal. This normally indicates some kind of nutritional deficiency. Additional testing is used to determine what kind.

Normal fasting glucose level in a non-diabetic is 70-100 mg/dL. However, I see that you take metformin. Is that for diabetes? For a diabetic, fasting blood glucose should be between 70-130 mg/dL.

There is nothing in the two numbers to tell what is causing the nausea. Your GI doctor will need to determine that.

Please let me know what additional questions you have about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~