A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

16 year old male, 103 fever, headache, photophobia,

Customer Question

16 year old male, 103 fever, headache, photophobia, vomiting, for last 5 hours. Loss of appetite, sleepy.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

I would take him to the ER. That is a high fever and with photophobia it could be meningitis. I don't want to scare you, but that is a real possibility and needs to be evaluated right away.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has had a meningococcal vaccine, could he still get the disease?

The vaccines protect against bacterial meningitis. There is also viral and fungal meningitis.

A fever of 103 degrees is high for someone his age. The er can determine what is causing it. Flu is another possibiity. In fact there are probably a hundred possibiities. They will determine what the cause is.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He has had the meningococcal vaccine , doesn't that mean he is immune to the disease

It means he cannot contract the strains of bacterial meningitis the vaccines are designed to prevent.

Vaccine does not prevent fungal or viral meningitis.

It also doesn't prevent pyelonephritis, flu, pneumonia, and the other dozens of causes of high fever, vomiting and photophobia.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~