A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My husband has a prominent hilum. he also had detached

Customer Question

Hi my husband has a prominent hilum. he also had detached retina
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: And now has high pressure In his eye and the doctors are baffled.
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: do you have any ideas or know where I can go for info? Thank you for your time.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Some vision now lost and had the last check up today They said it's improved slightly
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Perhaps you can help me sort this out.

What exactly has doctors baffled?

Generally a prominent hilum is a finding that shows up on a chest xray and would have nothing to do with the eyes. Can you shed any light on this?

A detached retina can, of course, lead to vision loss.

You wrote: "...And now has high pressure In his eye...."

Did they mention the term ocular hypertension, or glaucoma or some other diagnosis?

"....and had the last check up today They said it's improved slightly...." What has improved slightly?

Thanks for any additional clarification.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They don't know what's caused his retina to detach ( he's only 30) they thought it was TB but the test came back negative, his eye has pressure again and looks like the blood vessels are collapsing.
He's being used now for case studies and had had meetings with various specialists, but no one knows why this is happening and continues to happen.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry his eye sight has improved slightly.
They have also tested for diabetes but that has also come back clear as all the blood tests have.
He's mixed race(Caribbean and white English and they have asked him numerous times if he has Indian descendants?

A family history of retinal detachment is one of the risk factors. The statistics show higher than normal levels of retinal detachment among Native Americans in Arizona (in one study) if that is what you mean by "Indian" ancestors. Many of them developed retinal detachment in their 20s to 40s. That is probably why they asked. Of course, retinal detachment due to trauma can occur at any age.

In addition to trauma, there are also many, many other risk factors including heavy manual labor, high blood pressure, weightlifting, severe nearsightedness, smoking (even passive smoking), and a couple of inherited diseases (Stickler syndrome and Von Hippel-Landau disease). Sometimes no discernible reason for the tear can be found.

Intraocular pressure can be a cause as well as an effect of retinal detachment. It's difficult to say what its role is without more information.

I'm glad he is seeing specialists since he is such a complicated case. Surgery is usually performed for a detached retina and most people do well. As with all surgery there is a risk of complications, but it is generally a small risk.

I don't know how much the ophthalmologists treating him have told you. so here is some general information about retinal detachment:

http://www.medicinenet.com/retinal_detachment/article.htm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0023020/

https://nei.nih.gov/health/retinaldetach/retinaldetach

Best regards,

Schuyler

~