A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have just had a major operation for liver cancer which I

Customer Question

I have just had a major operation for liver cancer which I am in recovery now and they have taken 65% of my liver out which had the tumer cancer.how long will the recovery take
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today.

It's amazing but after liver resection, the remaining portion of the liver can regenerate in as little as two weeks! Long before the surgical scar is completely healed, the liver is regrowing and working. Overall, someone can usually return to work in 4-6 weeks, depending on their overall health before surgery and the stage of the cancer, if the remaining liver is cirrhotic, and if the patient is undergoing chemotherapy in addition to the surgery.

Your hepatologist who knows your complete history would have the best information to give you a more personalized recovery time frame.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have told me to come back in 14 weeks where they will do a scan and have said that they have done the best but sometimes the scans and the human eyes miss things and will decide the best cause of action then.to which I understand but do I need to wait 14 weeks as I am waiting in anticipation can I not get a faster answere anyway

It's difficult to determine what is going on in the liver while it is regenerating. With liver cancer, there is always the possibility that small amounts of cancer were not seen in the original scans that might have been missed in the surgery. Over the next months those areas might become more apparent. It takes time for the surgical area to settle down so there is no way to speed things up. I know the waiting is harrowing, but there isn't anything else by "tincture of time" to see how well the procedure turned out and if further treatment is necessary. Sorry to be the bearer of news you didn't want to hear.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I assumed as much ,but in your opinion what is the survival rate of having a 3.5 kg tumer removed the operation was done in 2 stages first took 9.5 hours on 13th September and the second was 6.5 hours on the 23 September if something has been missed and further treatment is required. As I was reading the web and they say average is 5 years life time expectancy as I am 55 years old.is therefore anything I can do to help myself.way of food, exercising,etc

Because there is the risk of cancer in the remainder of the liver (even a few cells that can't be seen on a scan), the survival rate is not great. The average is 5 years. There is no way to predict your personal survival rate. There is also the possibility that every cancer cell was removed and you won't have a recurrence of the disease. However, there is no way to predict that.

Taking good normal care of yourself is the best way to improve your chances. That includes a healthy lower-fat diet, no alcohol, use of only drugs approved by your doctor, regular exercise, regular sleep. Here are some tips from the American Cancer Society:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/nutritionforpeoplewithcancer/nutrition-and-physical-activity-during-and-after-cancer-treatment-answers-to-common-questions

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Your tips are good eating low fat foods and no alchole no smoking that I can do but I have since the operation had major sleeping problems have you any tips on that

The sleeping problems may be from anxiety about the surgery and its outcome. Here are some general self-help tips for improving both sleep and anxiety:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anxiety/Pages/self-help.aspx

https://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

You will notice that some of the tips are in both lists.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~