A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have had a headache for 3 weeks now. It is a constant

Customer Question

I have had a headache for 3 weeks now. It is a constant pain....worse at other times but always present. I had a slight cold over a month ago with was taken care of with OTC medications. I was fine in a few days. I've been to the dr twice and the ER once. They have given me steroids, a 10 day round of Levofloxacin which has not helped the headache at all. When at the ER, they ran a CT scan and it came back normal. The ER doctor said I had migraines. I used to have migraines years ago but never have they lasted 3 weeks. They also done a CBC. I just got my results today. My WBC was 11.4, Lymphocyte Absolute was 4.7, Monocytes Absolute, Automated was .90, Lymphocyte Percent was 41.2, and Monocyte Percent was 7.9. What do these results mean? I'm at my wits end with this headache.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: It is a daily non-stop pain. No nausea, no sensitivity to light
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: Never had any health issues. Not on any medications, other than sleep meds. BP and cholesterol levels are fine.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you!

Can you post what your lab considers normal for these lab results? Every lab has its own "reference range" depending on what equipment they use.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
WBC is 5.0-10.0 K/uL, Lymphocyte Absolute is 1.0-4.0 K/uL, Monocytes Absolute, Automated is 0.05-0.60 K/uL, Lymphocyte Percent is 20.0-40.0 % and Monocyte Percent is 0.0-6.0 %

Thanks for that information. The reference ranges at your lab are a bit different from mine.

Your WBC was 11.4 (5.0-10.0)

Lymphocyte Absolute was 4.7 (1.0-4.0)

Monocytes Absolute, Automated was .90 (0.05-0.60)

Lymphocyte Percent was 41.2 (20-40)

Monocyte Percent was 7.9 (0.0-6.0)

In general, high lymphocyte count is caused by infection (viral, bacterial, or parasitic). It can also be caused by inflammation from an ongoing autoimmune disorder or some leukemias, or vasculitis (inflamed blood vessels). Typical infections are mononucleosis, tuberculosis, whooping cough, or HIV/AIDS.

High monocyte count means the same thing: a chronic infection or inflammation.

Beyond that, the blood test results don't tell you anything, besides a chronic infection or inflammation.

Now your primary provider's job is to find out what is causing the infection or inflammation. If it is mononucleosis, a simple blood test can check for Epstein-Barr virus.

If the infection is viral (as mono is), antibiotics will not help.

Since you have a history or migraines, have they prescribed migraine treatment, such as anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen or naproxen) and oral sumatriptan? That would seem to be an obvious first step, even when you aren't having nausea, auras, etc.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have told me to take Aleve or Ibuprofen. They've not said anything about migraine treatment. I've started taking Excedrin Migraine. It seems to help more than the other two. The only thing with that is I'm having to take anywhere from 6-8 a day just to function at work. I was concerned about the blood results so I will print the results out and take them to my primary care doctor.

Yes, Excedrin Migraine is the best over the counter for migraine headache. Sumatriptan is a prescription migraine treatment that might help as well.

It's always good to have all results available when you go to your doctor. He will appreciate having the blood test results.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~