Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I am looking for answers to my PET scan. (3years ago had

Customer Question

I am looking for answers to my PET scan. (3years ago had bottom 2 lobes from right lung removed) I was diagnosed in April 2016 with recurrent atypical carcinoid stage 4 metastatic in the mediastinum. Had Chemo and Radiation together all of May 2016. 1st Pet scan 2 weeks ago says Chest: interval development of extensive confluent infiltrative process region within the right perihilar region with extension into the adjacent right mid lung with associated air bronchograms and ill-defined FDG uptake with maximal SUVs ranging up to 7.6. No focal more intense hypermetabolic lesions are identified within the lung parenchyma. Small 1.3 cm hypermetabolic focus is noted within the right subcarinal region adjacent to surgical clip with a maximal SUV of 8.6. No other suspicious hypermetabolic lesions are noted within the chest. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN PLEASE? My doc said to come back in 3 months??? Gave me antibiotic and predisone for pneumonia.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: yes
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: Have had an aortic valve replacement in 2008/ Bovine
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

The use of standardized uptake values (SUVs) is to differentiate;

1) Non canerous

2) Cancerous

3) Infection

4) Inflammation

Interval development of extensive confluent infiltrative process region within the right perihilar region with extension into the adjacent right mid lung with associated air bronchograms and ill-defined FDG uptake with maximal SUVs ranging up to 7.6.

This is due to infection.

No focal more intense hypermetabolic lesions are identified within the lung parenchyma.

There is no residual cancer left.

Small 1.3 cm hypermetabolic focus is noted within the right subcarinal region adjacent to surgical clip with a maximal SUV of 8.6.

This shows the residual inflammation at the surgical site.

No other suspicious hypermetabolic lesions are noted within the chest.

There is no other area which has high uptake of glucose in PET scan.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 26 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.