A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My daughter is 10 and has been light headed and feels like

Customer Question

Hi. My daughter is 10 and has been light headed and feels like her legs are jello. She recently has been having excessive thirst for water. Yesterday I decided to see how much she has been drinking and it was 200 oz from morning til bed. She is using the restroom way more than normal. Our family dr did a finger poke for sugar and said it was 106 which is normal. She also sent blloodwork in and all came back normal. Today they called and said that a mono test came back borderline. It was not in the mono range but very close. My daughter has no symptoms of mono.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Sometimes her light headedness is worse than other times. No swelling. I can't pinpoint a reason.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 26 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Ok thank you. I'm also trying to figure out if I should take her to our urgent care.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
My family dr says to let it run it's course which could last for a few months.

If it's mono, then it will pass in a few months. There would be no need for urgent care.

However, 200 ounces of water a day! That is more than 3 times as much as the highest recommended amount. That is NOT typical of a mono infection. If this level of intake continues, I would suggest you ask her primary provider to test for SIADH (syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion). Dizziness and weakness are symptoms because there is so much fluid consumption that the electrolytes in the body are diluted. It isn't all that common so it was probably not checked in the blood work she has already had.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. Do you think there is any possibility of diabetes?

Her fingerstick was normal for a child her age. Fasting it should be in the 100-120 range. After meals, it should be closer to 180 mg/dL. A hemoglobin A1C test shows average blood glucose over the past two months and is a better test for diagnosing diabetes. Was this test done when blood was drawn?

Unless she had the A1C test, diabetes isn't ruled out. It is far more common than SIADH, and is definitely a concern.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
her finger poke was after breakfast. An how is a ac1 test performed?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
She only had a blood draw and sent to the lab.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Finger poke was probably an hour after bfast

A 106 after a meal is excellent.

An A1C test is performed on blood drawn from the inner arm, just like all the other blood tests. You have to specifically ask the lab to run that test on the blood sent to them though. It isn't a routine test like a complete blood count or a metabolic panel.

Kind regards,

NP Schuyler

~

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. I will see if it was ran. I don't know.

You're so very welcome!