Janne Nissinen
Janne Nissinen,
Experience:  Neurology Fellow at University of California San Diego
92736226

What would cause lower back pain with complete numbness of

Customer Question

What would cause lower back pain with complete numbness of groin, back of thighs, calfs and feet. With limited strength in legs causing difficulty walking. Also having difficulty urinating.
Category: Health
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 6 months ago.

I'm Janne NIssinen a board certified neurologist. You are describing cauda equina syndrome which is a compression of the lower nerve rooms of the spinal cord. Have you had any spinal imaging?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No my insurance denied doctors request for MRI. Should I go to the hospital er?

You should definitely be worked up. The cause is often some sort of compression of the nerves. I can't say what exactly but it needs to be worked up, it can result in paralysis if neglected. How long have you had the symptoms? Are they getting worse? Any injuries to the back? Any history of cancer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Onset was approximately 2 weeks ago with initial symptoms being altered sensation in groin area, I thought I had a UTI. Lower back increased as well. I have had 13 reconstructive procedures on my knees so I have suffered from chronic pain for years. The numbness and "" pins and needles " sensation in groin and back of legs has gotten worse everyday. I Cant feel my feet at all.

Ok, then yes I recommend you go to the ER. You need to be worked up to see what is going on.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am also having difficulty uurinating

That is part of the same syndrome, the nerve that control bowel and bladder function can get affected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just this afternoon, I started feeling very itchy in groin area and in my legs is this also a symptom of this syndrome? I have an appointment on Friday with a neurosurgeon do you recommend er as opposed to waiting? The numbing sensation and urination issue is definitely worsening quite rapidly

strange sensations in the legs can be part of it yes. I do recommend you go to the ER, it is progressing quite rapidly

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much doctor for your help-i truly appreciate the information you provided and also making me aware to head to ER. I have had lot of medical problems through out my life but whatever this is going on is scaring me. What should I expect regarding treatment at er?

It depends on what the cause is, but if there is found to be compression due to structural cause then surgery is likely. But take it one step at a time and find out what is going on first. I hope all goes well.

Thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care. Please do not forget to leave feedback.