Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

A Wahed from Bangladesh, I would like to know some urgent

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I am M A Wahed from Bangladesh, I would like to know some urgent information regarding my mother's treatment.
My mother was affected by locally enhanced Ductal Cell Carcinoma (Right Breast- PT3N2Mx). It was first diagnosed in April 2016. Since then she got four (04) cycle Neo- Adj Chemotherapy and a surgery has been done (simple mastectomy with axillary clearance). After that more four (04) cycle Chemotherapy has been completed in Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Now the doctor has recommended for radiotherapy. Does the radiotherapy is actually required for this type of case ? (some specialist suggestion is required)
2. If required, does TMH have the facility right now?
3. What will be the approximate cost?
4. How long approximately we need to stay in India for the treatment ?Sir, I would be very grateful if you kindly provide me with the following information and give me necessary advice as early as possible.
Thanking in Advance-
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this? You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the doctor. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Dear Sir, I am M A Wahed from Bangladesh, I would like to know some urgent information regarding my mother's treatment. My mother was affected by locally enhanced Ductal Cell Carcinoma (Right Breast- PT3N2Mx). It was first diagnosed in April 2016. Since then she got four (04) cycle Neo- Adj Chemotherapy and a surgery has been done (simple mastectomy with axillary clearance). After that more four (04) cycle Chemotherapy has been completed in Combined Military Hospital (CMH), Dhaka, Bangladesh. Now the doctor has recommended for radiotherapy. Does the radiotherapy is actually required for this type of case ? (some specialist suggestion is required)
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am a radiation oncology doctor

yes, she needs radiation therapy after mastectomy and all of the chemotherapy

this has been studied in trials and radiation in her situation will improve her odds of living and decrease the chances of her breast cancer from coming back.

here is data on it

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Radiation_Oncology/Breast/Post_mastectomy

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
any alternatives ?

there are no alternatives which are as effective as radiation therapy in this situation for her

radiation is part of her treatment course which would give her the best odds of being cured.

patients who have advanced breast cancers like your wife who have had chemotherapy and surgery, also get radiation to be cured.