Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I am diabetic (almost 50 years now!) - I tend to get bitten

Customer Question

Hi, I am diabetic (almost 50 years now!) - I tend to get bitten by insects & at least once a year one of them turns nasty. In the old days the infected part was 'pulled out' & cicatrin antibiotic powder used to heal the wound. No they use manuka honey which takes ages to heal & leaves a really bad scar. I was wondering if I bought Cicatrin for animals (which are tested on humans first) would that be OK? It seems the only way to get it without prescription as my GP refuses to prescribe for me.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am told I am allergic to penicillin, but that was only after having glandular fever over 40 years ago & I cam out in a rash! I take insulin of course, methotrexate & sulfalasine for seronegative rheumatoid arthritis, & then of course the usual BP tabs, statins, aspirin & folic acid!
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: No, I don't think so!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 5 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Well actually cicatrin powder has been pulled from the shelves in many countries for a couple of reasons. The first one was that it was found that using the powder was actually promoting the development of resistance. Resistant strains of MRSA were found to be occurring more often in those patients who used the powder than those who did not use the powder. That is one of the reasons why its use was discouraged by many physicians and even now this is not teh treatment of choice. Now in your case while you can certainly use cicatrin powder for treating wounds such as those described by you, i would not recommend it. Simply because you are diabetic, and if you do develop a resistant strain of MRSA bacteria and that strain causes an infection in your case, it could have devastating effects. While the cicatrin powder which is available for animals can be used in humans, i would not recommend that you do so.

But to answer your questions, YES the powder which is used for animals is essentially the same drug which was available for humans at one time and as such can be used by you, however it is not recommended.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

If the manuka based dressings are not effective in your case there are other options, one is that of silver based dressings. These have an antibacterial action and also help in healing.

Also another reason the cicatrin may not be as effective as it was previously is because of the presence of diabetes for a number of years now, even if diabetes is well controlled it does damage the vessels and other organs in the body in a minor way. Even if teh damage did not occur because of diabetes, increasing age does effect the circulation particularly. Decreased circulation in your peripheries would effect the adequate healing of wounds and it is likely that the cicatrin may not work as well now as it did several years back. You may have noticed over the past several years that wounds may be taking a longer time to heal which may be progressively increasing over time. This is because of the aging process and its effects on peripheral circulation which leads to impaired wound healing.

Do you have any more questions?