Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had a flu shot and a pneumonia shot on Thursday, one in

Customer Question

I had a flu shot and a pneumonia shot on Thursday, one in each arm. Both arms were sore for a couple of days, but the right one got better, while the left one didn't. Today (Sunday) my left arm is swollen and red about two inches down from the injection site. Does this sound like a blood clot? I am 65 years old.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I just noticed this morning when I showered, about 11 am. Nothing seems to make the symptoms worse or better. I have been fairly active today, including a couple of long walks.
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: I have rheumatoid arthritis and take methotrexate 20 mg/week and celebrex 2 x 100 mg daily and an injection once a week of abatacept or placebo, as I am taking part in a clinical study for treatment of RA (abatacept plus methotrexate in lieu of just methotrexate.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 26 days ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This is more likely due to the bacterial infection. Injection can introduce skin bacteria causing pain and swelling. Blood clot is less likely from the injection but possible. It is better to get this checked out soon.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/