Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I have odd numbness below my waist. It is primarily in my

Customer Question

I have odd numbness below my waist. It is primarily in my big toes but also sometimes appears in my calves and inner thighs and rarely as high as my waist. It also appears that it might be contributing to spotty ED. Ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is it just numbness or do you also have burning or tingling? Any other medical conditions? Medications that you might be on? Any weakness in the limbs or blurring of vision?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is really just the numbness. it is not all the time other than in my big toes. it comes and goes in my calves, thighs, and my waist. no weakness or blurring of vision
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i am was recently on flowmax to deal with a kidney stone that passed but the numbness pre dates the flow max

The numbness in your lower limbs can be due to a couple of things. The first thing which comes to mind is that you could have a problem in the lower back which could be compressing the nerves. This would lead to numbness in the locations which you have mentioned as well as cause other symptoms like burning or tingling in some cases. This problem could be narrowing of the spinal canal or even a prolapsed disc. this would be diagnosed with a clinical examination and also with the help of a simple MRI of the lower back.

Another possibility of this numbness can be involvement of the peripheral nervous system. This means that the nerves of the lower limbs can be damaged because of several underlying issues which can include vitamin B12 deficiency, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, thyroid disorders, infections among many many other causes. This would cause numbness or even burning or tingling in the region. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a simple NCS/EMG test which would determine which nerves are damaged.

Another cause of this can be related to the brain, in some patients who have patchy numbness in various regions of the body along with other symptoms like muscle spasms or blurring of vision, that can be an indication of MS. However i dont think MS is the first thing i will think of here, this would be the LAST possibility i would keep in mind.

Lastly, simple electrolyte imbalances can also lead to this sort of numbness, particular with calcium, magnesium deficiencies. A simple blood test would be able to determine if this is the case,

Now i would suggest that you start with getting the back evaluated and also get a neurological examination. it is very likely that the numbness is the due to a problem in the spine or due to damage to the peripheral nerves.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

One more thing which comes to mind with intermittent numbness is that this could be related to metabolic abnormalities, such as rneal diseases or even liver disease which can sometimes cause this problem. These problems can be easily determined with the help of simple blood tests (chemistry profile).

But getting a neurological examination is the start here, that will narrow down the field quite a bit. It is likely that your doctor may want a MRI or a NCS/EMG test to be done after getting the basic bloodwork done.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.