Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

Husband has lung ca with difficulty swallowing Has not gone

Customer Question

Husband has lung ca with difficulty swallowing Has not gone in 4 days Got Chemo the last three days Is on pain meds Geneneralky needs a lot of roughage to go Is 6 3 and 340 lbs Diffinrntly not drinking enough But was hydrated the last three days with Chemo Took 2 Sennakot and a colace yesterday late about 530 Took Miralox about an hour ago and Fleet (saline) about 25 minutes ago Says he hasn't passed gas in a day What do I do if this doesn't work!!! Help
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No allergies take Metoroprol Metformum Actoes Valsyartin Hydocvdone Magic Mouthwash Carafate
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Dm High BP high cholesterol
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your husband. Can i ask does he have a distended abdomen? Any abdominal pain or tenderness?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No abdominal tenderness But feels like he has to go
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Still there???

Thank you for the additional information.

From what you are describing, it looks like that he may have developed intestinal obstruction. The inability to pass means that he has absolute constipation and this develops when there is extensive blockage in the intestine. Even if there is no distension of the abdomen or abdominal pain, absolute constipation is a sign of intestinal obstruction. Now while it is very likely that he can be treated with insertion of suppositries in the rectum but i think he will need manual evacuation of feces from the rectum. This would be done only AFTER a xray of the abdomen is done to rule out intestinal obstruction. The fact that he feels like he has to go means that the obstruction is likely to be lower down in the intestinal tract, most likely in the sigmoid colon or in the rectum itself. This is why i think manual evacuation is what will be needed here. But before that can happen, given his other clinical conditions an xray of the abdomen is NECESSARY here.

The reason im emphasizing a xray is because if manual evacuation or any other treatment is attempted without it and there is a significant obstruction in the colon above the sigmoid, it can lead to a perforation in the intestine. This is why i would STRONGLY advise a visit to the ER to get a xray done, once that has been done they can also evacuate his bowels manually and relieve his constipation. I would not advise giving him anymore medication at home right now simply because of his inability to pass gas.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Yes i am still here, i was writing down an answer for you. We can discuss this further, i am online until you are satisfied.

Do you have any more questions?