A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Is ect an option for someone on disability with Medicare? I

Customer Question

Is ect an option for someone on disability with Medicare?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I go to ACCESS here locally. It has not been discussed and I take topimax, Prozac, clonozapam. He just tried to replace the Prozac with latuda, but it is not affordable.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a history of self medicating with alcohol when mess do not work. Not proud of it, but information that is needed for the best prognosis from the doctor. Also I have severe psoriasis and anxiety.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: Since childhood. Stress, emotional confrontation or perceived rejection.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** am reading your question and will be back with you ASAP.

ECT is available under Medicare under very limited circumstances. Their policy is outlined here:

http://www.priorityhealth.com/provider/manual/auths/~/media/documents/medical-policies/91554.pdf

It requires at a minimum that the patient has failed two psychotropic medications at maximum dosage over an adequate length of time (usually 3 months) for one of the following diagnoses:

• Severe depression with significant risk of suicide

• Severe mania

• Psychosis due to schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder

• Catatonia

• Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome

You will need to discuss this with your treating doctor to see if you fit the criteria.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 29 days ago.
Was there anything else you wanted to ask about this before leaving a rating? If not I would appreciate your taking a second to rate the answer, since a positive rating (hopefully a "5") is the only way we are credited (or paid!) for our work. Thanks!