Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

What can be done to avoid knee replacement?

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query. The first and foremost act will be to shed any extra weight you are carrying,regular exercise to strengthen the thigh and knee muscle is a must.You may need to work with a Physical trainer or a Physiotherapist to do this properly.You may be helped by Hyaluronic Acid injections,artificial replacements for knee synivial fluid as also cortisone injections.Acupuncture and prolotherapy(injections of dextrose solutions in ligaments and tendons to increase blood flow),stem cell therapy,Osteotomy and arthroscopic surgery are the other alternatives to knee replacement.

Braces,electrical stimulation and NSAIDs may help delay the need for replacement.