Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

In 2009 I had the 3rd of three open heart surgeries at the

Customer Question

in 2009 I had the 3rd of three open heart surgeries at the Cleveland Clinic to replace the mitral and aortic valves. Now I have to have knee replacement. I am more than nervous to have anotherroperation. Is this procedure safe? Ann Menche
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My family does not. And I did get a good report from my cardiologist when I had an ekg and an echo. I am 77 years old. Ann
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He knows everything I think. Ann
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Thanks for this question. Actually if your last echocardiogram and EKG were alright then you have no reason to worry about knee replacement surgery. The heart issues would not cause a problem in this procedure at all however if you are on blood thinning medication, those would need to be stopped a certain time period before the surgery however apart from that, the heart issues would not play into the procedure at all. Secondly, a knee replacement does have some risks associated with it however those can be mitigated if the procedure is done correctly. There are some complications like,

• Infections
  • Bleeding
  • Joint swelling and pain post procedure which is persistent
  • Risks associated with anesthesia
  • Implant failure

However these risks occur in only 5-8% of the cases at the most and in a good surgeons hands these risk are reduced to 1-2%. So i think you have nothing to worry about regarding this procedure.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!