Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I was in Ottawa Canada last week for a conference and it was

Customer Question

Hi! I was in Ottawa Canada last week for a conference and it was very cold. During my keynote presentation I began sweating and became lightheaded (it has never happened before). In the days that followed and since my return to Portland, Oregon (where it is quite a bit warmer), every time I walk up hill or up stairs, my chest feels heavy and sometimes I get tightness in my jaw and left arm and it feels like my heart is racing. I don't have any heart disease in my family, great lipid panels, low blood pressure. I don't smoke. I exercise every day. I'm not over weight. I am 49 and while my period is still like clock work I may be perimenopausal.
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: I'm not in any pain at the moment. My periods are like clock-work. I just started menstruating today. So last week at the conference was the week leading up to menstruation. The sweating came on so quickly, someone suggested I was having my first hot flash! But I've never had this thing happen in my chest before...and it is only when I'm walking up an incline (and my heart rate goes up).
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had an transient intussusception in my small intestine 10 years ago caused by a virus. I haven't had a recurrence thought it took a few years to recover. I have migraines though right now I'm managing them with nutrition and exercise and supplements. I had a full medical work up a few months ago and there weren't any problems at all.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Hello!
My name is*****
Welcome to Just Answer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any other symptom?
Did you have any test?
Did you consult doctor or take any measure?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you,Customer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Only the symptoms I mentioned in my initial message. I did have an intestinal bug at the beginning of October and my gut has been tender since then. But otherwise, I've felt strong and good until the trip to Ottawa.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I only got home yesterday and haven't contacted my health care provider yet. I'm still sussing what's going on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only medicine I take is Motrin or over the counter allergy medicine when needed.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Please wait.
I am writing your answer.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for all the information,
I am sorry for your symptoms.
The tight feeling in the chest can be due to heart issues.
It can be felt in jaw, arm too.
This can occur in ischemia or low blood supply to the heart like angina.
There may not be frank pain.
As it occurs on climbing upstairs or going uphill it can be angina on effort.
The sweating episode may also be related.
Reflux of acid, esophageal spasm can sometimes be there..
Anxiety, stress can be associated.
But it needs an urgent examination by doctor.
Though your blood pressure, lipids are normal & there is no family history, I would suggest to take an examination asap/
You need EKG, stress test, echo etc.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish your early recovery.
Please rate my answer excellent if you are satisfied with it.
Regards.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 month ago.

You are always welcome.
If you are satisfied with my answers, please do not forget to leave an excellent rating.
Best wishes.