Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I had blood drawn yesterday morning. it was painful, like

Customer Question

I had blood drawn yesterday morning. it was painful, like the needle was pushin on the bottom of my vein. This morning, there's an elongated knot, and it's tender. Am I endanger of a blood clot?
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: what??
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Hi had a pulmonary embalyst about 6 or 7 years a go after an appendectomy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is there any bruising over the area? do you have a picture of the area?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well first thing, this knot would NOT predispose you to develop any blood clots whatsoever. It is most likely a collection of blood under the skin which is now developed into a hematoma. This would explain the lump underneath your skin and also the tenderness that you feel. many a time there is leakage of blood after drawing blood, this leaking blood tends to collect underneath the skin and even deeper in between the layers of the muscles to cause tenderness and even some swelling. While usually there would be some bruising in the overlying skin, it is not always necessary for it to develop. The best thing to do for this is to apply warm packs on the area for a day or so and then switch to cold ice packs for the next two days. Keep the area elevated and if necessary use OTC anti inflammatory medications like motrin/aleve or tylenol (if you are on blood thinners like warfarin etc).

But to confirm, there is absolutely NO danger of you developing any sort of blood clot which can travel to your lungs. Pulmonary embolism does NOT occur in this manner, the most that can happen is that you have some pain in the area for a few days but no life threatening complication can arise from this procedure. The problem should resolve by using the above measures within the next 7-10 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional information you require, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated! :)