Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

My husband had hip surgery 3 weeks ago. He has been

Customer Question

My husband had hip surgery 3 weeks ago. He has been constipated for 5 days now and is in pain. He can't even seem to urinate tonight. Is there something I can try at home or do I need to wait for the doctor's office to open.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: He has gotten in the shower a few times in the warm water but he really needs a bowel movement. I have given him 2 magnesium citrate drinks and some miralax since 5pm yesterday and nothing but some liquid comes out.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Non other than that he is 62 and healthy. Has had 2 knee replacements 6 years ago and has been disabled. But health wise, he takes dilation and penmanship for a head injury when he was young. He was taking doxycycline after the surgery, but he has cut back on that since the constipation.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Usually measures such as Miralax and magnesium citrate may help in a bowel movement . Oral use of sodiumphosphate or polyethylene glycol may help.Rarely bowel contents solidify and get impacted and will not respond to such measures.You may need to see your PCP who can examine him per rectally using a gloved finger if a hardened lump is felt in the left lower part.The use of manual removal of impacted stool may need breaking it up with a finger followed up by a gentle soap water enema.Use of enemas will aid in the passing of stools.He may need to go to the Emergency room if the problem is quite painful and not resolving.