Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I've fainted twice while laughing hard within 6months now

Customer Question

Hey there I've fainted twice while laughing hard within 6months now I'm worried
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I haven't and I get scared that they might say sumthing I hear that it's called laughter induced syncope Is it serious
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: To be honest I jus know it's my smoking I smoke a pack a day I stopped now But I'm just worried it's just only wen I laugh so hard
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Let me at the outset tell you that it is unlikely to be serious. Still you need to be evaluated, just for the sake of caution.

You should be evaluated for the following which are the commonest cause for sudden fainting or syncope;

1) bradyarrhythmias; this is sudden slowing of the heart. it is mainly due to sinus and atrial node dysfunctions. Sick sinus syndrome is a prototype of these arrhythmias and is a major cause for syncope. 24 hour Holter monitoring, echocardiography etc are the investigations done for it.

2) neurocardiogenic mechanisms; this is fall of the blood pressure suddenly due to a sudden sympathetic failure (failure of the autonomic nervous system).

3) carotid hypersensitivity syndrome is an exaggerated response to carotid sinus stimulation. In some studies almost 50% cognitively normal people who had experienced non accidental fall or fainiting were diagnosed with carotid hypersensitivity.

4) orthostatic hypotension is due to failure of autonomic nervous system and related heart regulatory mechanisms.

Some of the following investigations may also be advised by your doctor;

1) MRI with gadolinium contrast

2) Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA)

3) Tilt table test

4) Carotid sinus massage

5) Electroencephalography (EEG)

6) Stress cardiac test

7) Total creatine kinase (CK) and heart enzymes; done immediately after the fainting episode and would tell about the abnormal brain or heart activity which caused the fainting.

8) Following also may be done after the fainting episode; blood electrolytes and blood glucose.

These should be able to zero down the cause.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!