wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal medicine internship in New York City. Two decades+ of medical experience
48069651

I'm trying to find out what FDG avid means, Yes, I had a CAT

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out what FDG avid means
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I had a CAT scan
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: had a biopsy yesterday. I have had recurrent desmoplastic melanoma. This would be the 3rd time.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: The electronic system at Sentara records everything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 1 month ago.

This is a term used when discussing the results of a PET scan.

FDG avid refers to a type of glucose (sugar) this is linked with radioactive fluorine. This radioactive sugar is found in much higher concentrations in areas of your body that are using lots of energy, such as tumors, and shows up on the PET scan.

If these FDG avid areas are located in a part of your body that would not normally be expected to use a lot of energy this means that something is wrong, usually that cancer is present.

Of course, your doctor is the best person to explain what these FDG avid areas might mean in your particular situation.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS