Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My daughter 28 y.o. is greatly fatigued almost sleeping 24

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: My daughter 28 y.o. is greatly fatigued almost sleeping 24 hrs in a day. Her last lot of bloods showed she was extremely low in iron and her body is not absorbing iron. Her local GP in Victoria thought she needed a blood transfusion. She has moved to Darwin to be with us for support just this week. am not sure how to proceed. Have a drs appt for tomorrow but it will mean waiting for results again and delaying something happening.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: My health or my daughters
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She has mastocytosis. Not sure if there is a link with low iron and the disease or it is something separate
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Mastocytosis can be related to her iron deficiency anemia. She should be seen by a doctor, as soon as possible. This is all the more necessary as her GP mentioned that she needs blood transfusion, which indicates that her hemoglobin is too low. You can consider going to Accident and Emergency services, where the investigations may be repeated and accordingly treatment decision can be taken immediately. A blood transfusion also can be done there.

A colonoscopy is usually advised as there can be polyps in the intestines (benign growths) which can bleed intermittently and can cause anemia. Ferritin is a blood test which evaluates for the total iron available in the body. Serum ferritin is the most useful test for diagnosing iron-deficiency anemia.

The most common causes are;

1) iron deficiency (with or without blood loss),

2) chronic disease/inflammation

3) chronic kidney disease

4) deficiencies of folate or vitamin B-12,

5) diseases of the bone marrow

6) hypothyroidism, hypersplenism, and hemolytic anemia

So investigations entail;

1) Complete blood count (CBC)

2) Peripheral blood film

3) Vitamin B-12

4) Folate

5) Reticulocyte count

6) LDH

7) Thyroid-stimulating hormone

8) Serum creatinine and estimated glomerular filtration rate

9) Serum ferritin

10) Serum iron

11) Total iron-binding capacity

So these investigations need to be done for the exact assessment and long term management.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!