Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I pancreatic insufficiency which my gastroenterologist can't

Customer Question

I pancreatic insufficiency which my gastroenterologist can't explain. I've had 3 fecal fat test which show positive. MRI and ultrasound of the abdomen show no tumors only some small cysts on the liver and one on my kidney. I've lost about 5-6 pounds over the last 6 months. I take good supplements, eat fairly healthy, drink lots of water and exercise 3 times a week. My doctor has recommended taking pancreatic enzymes to help digest my food. He's given me Creon 12,000, but I'm concerned about taking them because of side effects - viral infection due to the enzymes being made from pig's pancreas, uric acid which would cause gout, decrease or increase in blood sugar and difficulty breathing (I have asthma). Would these enzymes be "safe" for me to take?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What did your pancreatic enzyme tests like amylase, lipase, blood sugar etc show?

Apart from abnormal fecal tests, do you have any other signs or symptoms?

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

It seems that you are offline, so I am writing you the answer. You may ask follow up questions, once you are online.

There is a small chance of the side effects / adverse effects you have mentioned. The chance is 3-5%. But there is no way to assess the risk in an individual, before starting the medication, unfortunately. Thus initial monitoring for about two weeks would be required, once you start Creon. If you tolerate it for this duration, chance of adverse effects after that duration in quite negligible.

Just a word about the various investigations done for the chronic pancreatitis or pancreatic insufficiency (I am sure your gastroenterologist must have got them done):

1) serum trypsin

2) serum calcium and triglyceride levels.

3) genetic mutations in cationic trypsinogen and CFTR.

4) serum amylase and lipase levels.

5) Assays of fecal chymotrypsin and human pancreatic elastase 1.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 months ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/