Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Got a lot of swelling in both legs. 6'3', 303lbs,126/76,

Customer Question

Got a lot of swelling in both legs. 6'3', 303lbs,126/76, 114bpm, 97.8f .Dr said "plus 4' swelling.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Also Hep C
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Swelling of legs on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

10) Liver disease (with helatitis C, One should get the liver function tests)

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!