Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  MBBS, MD, ECFMG certified. 11 year experience in dealing with cases related to all fields of medicine
22950887

I had throbbing on the right side of my neck so intense it

Customer Question

I had throbbing on the right side of my neck so intense it felt like something was trying to get out, however it wasn't really painful. Do I need to see my doctor
JA: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: Just happened once last night. my neck felt weird but no numbness or tinging after. I was simple sitting watching tv
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nno
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask can you feel a swelling in that side of the neck? Is it pulsating? Any headaches or blurring of vision? Any weakness in the arms or limbs? What is your age and gender?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

The first thing which comes to mind is that this sort of throbbing pain can be due to a problem with one of the blood vessels in the neck. Usually this would cause the development of a pulsating mass in the neck which can imapir the blood supply to the brain and in turn cause symptoms like weakness, numbness of the limbs etc. This can be due to a carotid artery aneurysm. Now this is a relatively rare condition and usually occurs in indiviudals above the age of 45 however if the pain was severe and it was a throbbing nature then a simple carotid doppler ultrasound would be able to rule this out effectively. Secondly, this sort of pain can also be due to simple issues like muscle spasm or strain. it is possible that a deeper muscle in the neck was spasming when you experienced the pain which would explain the sensation "as if something wanted to come out". This usually arises because of dehydration or electrolyte imbalances which can be easily corrected with the help of simple fluid intake and also by using electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade. Throbbing sort of pain can be associated with muscle spasms and strains in many cases

But i think the severity of the pain does warrant an evaluation at your doctors office, ask him to listen to your carotid artery for any bruits. In addition he can determine if a carotid artery doppler ultrasound is necessary on the basis of a clinical examination.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.