Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Tooth extraction yesterday, jaw swollen and painful spasm at

Tooth extraction yesterday, jaw swollen and painful spasm at extraction site. returned to dentist today and given clindymycin, but afraid to take due to potentially fatal and irreversible GI side effects. I was given Penicillian last month after root removed and the GI EFFECTS WERE ALMOST INTOLERABLE. I have GERD and suffer from constipation and polyps.
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: I retuned to dentist today, given antibiotcs, but feel I was given them as a failsafe. the swelling seems to be in the jaw rather than gums
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, just really reluctant about taking another antibiotic,especially with sider effects.

My name is*****
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

How large is the swelling?

How severe is your pain?

Are you taking any other medicine?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Prescribed today:
Clindamycin 300mg, 3xday
Hydrocodone 10/325
regular meds: Dexilant 60mg, 1xdaily
Lozartan HCL 50/12.5
Singulair 10mg
Zyrtec 10 mg
Pain meds: PRN Oxycodone 10/325
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Typing is okay. I don't have extra money, and I have answered your questions. is there something else?

Thank you for all the information,
I am sorry for your symptoms.
From your symptoms, there is likely an infection & you would need antibiotic for it.
Clindamycin can cause side effects like pseudomembranous colitis.
Its incidence varies, anywhere from 1-10%.
It may not occur in all, any onset of diarrhea should be reported to doctor & medicine needs to be stopped.
However, if you are worried about side effects, I would suggest to talk with your dentist.
He can change the antibiotic.

A swab can be taken for culture & see the sensitivity of bacteria to antibiotics.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish your early recovery.
Please rate my answer excellent if you are satisfied with it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
what is alternate antibiotic? Do infections set up that quickly? The extraction was yesterday at 3pm. The numbing agent was pretty serious, was wontdering if the swelling in is reaction to that. Seems the antibiotic is a failsafe, given the diagnosis was not definitive. I go back Friday for f/u, will see the Dentist who extracted the tooth. I have pain in the lower jaw, but have no problem opening my mouth. What is the risk in waiting 3 days? Should I see my regular Internist? Thanks

You are always welcome.

Antibiotic need to be decided after a clinical examination.
Cephalosporins, amoxiclav can be alternatives.
Reaction to a numbing agent would gradually diminish & be less now.
If your symptoms are getting worse, then an infection is possible.
In case of infection, early start of antibiotic will prevent complication.
Antibiotic can take 1-2 days to have maximum effect.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thank you. Sounds like its difficult to answer without seeing me, and another trip to Doctor! The Surgical Dentist aren't available until Friday, and in order to get another evaluation before then, i'll have to go to my regular doctor. Just wanted a second opinion and do not want to take Antibiotics "just in case."

Yes, you can visit your primary doctor.

He can have a look at the extraction site.