A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

A discogenic disease? this info came in a ct lumber wo

Customer Question

a discogenic disease?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: this info came in a ct lumber wo contrast, the only thing the doctors have done is give me different kind of injections in the spine, the shot are not helping anymore.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had several surgeries, including back surgery and bypasses for my heart
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: mother and father had heart troubles, if I can get rid of my back pain everything will be great.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

Discogenic disease is more commonly called degerative disc disease. However, even that is a misnomer, since all discs degenerate as we age, but not all degenerative discs cause pain. An MRI is the best type of scan to determine exactly what the problem is, far better than a CT scan.

Conservative treatment is physical therapy, injections to reduce inflammation, and pain medication. Depending on exactly where the disease is, facet joint injections or an ablation may be used to help relieve pain. Surgery would be the final step.

If you aren't seeing a neurologist, a referral would likely prove useful to sorting out exactly what the problem is and what can be done about it.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~

Did you have additional questions about this?

If not I would appreciate a rating (hopefully a "5") since that is the only way we are credited with answering questions.

Thanks!