Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Every morning for the past 2-3 weeks when I blow my nose

Customer Question

Every morning for the past 2-3 weeks when I blow my nose there are blood clots in the mucus. this norning within an hour I blew my nose 6 times and express clots and bright red blood in just the right nostril.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: I have had the simptoms about 2-3 weeks. I awake in th morning and need to blow my nse. I use a C-pap machine.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: On 10/04/16 I had an MRI due to severe pain on the left side of neck. It showed Cervical Spinal Stenosis at 2 levels: above and below a previous C4-6 fusion in 2004. My doctor wrote " Stenosis is moderate. C3/4 and C6/7. I had 3 strokes in 3 days (3 clots, left side of brain) in 2014 and last MRI showed another since 2014 that I was totally unaware of. I have high blood pressure that is under control for the most part, COPD, lateral meniscus tear right knee that, with PT, is healing well, no longer in pain. Last June I had a Retna Vein Occlusion which after 3 shots in eye has healed. I am having a pre-op for catarac surgery on the 27th.Oct.. I have a few other problems which due to poor memory ( what can one expect at 80 yrs young). I also have NASH.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Following are the causes of blood in nose mucus;

1) Arteriosclerosis

2) Nose polyp

3) Idiopathic causes: About 10% of people have no identifiable causes.

4) Sarcoidosis

5) bacterial or viral infection

6) Nasal septal abnormality.

7) Sinus infection (sinusitis).

You may need an exam by ENT specialist, x-ray and MRI of the sinuses and following blood work;

1) platelet count,
2) bleeding time (BT),
3) prothrombin time (PT),
4) activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT),
5) thrombin time (TT)
6) peripheral blood smear,
7) platelet aggregation in response to ADP, epinephrine, collagen, and ristocetin;
8) platelet release assays,
9) coagulation factor assays,
10) assessment of factor XIII activity via clot solubility testing
11) Tests of fibrinolysis; measurement of fibrin split products and D-dimer levels.

If you are taking aspirin or any related products, you would need to stop them.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Hi Sharon,

Your symptoms are not likely of any serious issue. Infections and allergies with medications are the most common causes responsible for it. Occasionally high blood pressure too may cause it.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

My goal is to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then an "Excellent Service" rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please click "Reply" to let me know how I can better assist you with any additional information or clarification.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to be of help!