Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Customer Question

Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 days ago.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

What is your question. Please write the detail.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Four days ago I was very constipated due to taking some pain medicine for an injured shoulder. About 6 hours after that epidsode I felt a small pain in my lower abdomen. Later when I had to defecate again I felt a sharp pain as the stool reached a certain point of my lower abdomen. Once it passes that point the pain is gone and I can defecate. Gas passing is felt in this spot too. This has been going on since Monday morning and it causes a small amount of nausea as well. I have backed off of the pain meds and the stools are soft now. The pain is not constant, only when the stool is traveling down a certain point of my tract. I have tried nothing except to not taking as much pain medicine. Could the constipation have caused some damage? I strained very hard, but passed the stool on my own. Any thoughts or suggestions. I have a Dr. appointment Friday with my PCP. Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This is first time I have used this site. Will answer be posted here or emailed to me?

I would post in about 10 minutes. Thanks for your patience.

The pain in the lower abdomen is likely to pass on its own. It seems that you had strained the abdominal muscle due to constipation. Cold compresses and local analgesic cream application on the lower abdomen would help facilitate the healing. Following measures will keep your bowel motions soft:

1) Avoid constipation by not postponing the urge to defecate; Many over-the-counter options helps speed bowel movements and decrease straining. Duphalac is best.

2) Eat a balanced, high-fiber diet; Increased dietary fiber of 25-30 grams / day. High fiber cereal can help reach this goal quickly.

3) Drink plenty of water and liquids (about 2 liters a day)

4) Regular exercise; this helps in relieving constipation, if any.

5) Avoid excessive pressure and straining during defecation. Don't sit for extended periods, limit this time as much as possible.

6) Avoid irritant foods, chillies and hot herbs and substances.

7) Local ointments applied in anal canal (if you have pain in anus during defecation) which contain xylocaine and vasconstrictors (OTC product).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
it is your opinion with the information that you have that it is a strained muscle and not an issue in my intestinal tract?

It is highly unlikely to be the intestines. A pain at the specific site on lower abdomen by gas or during urge of passing motion, is most likely due to strained abdominal muscles. This is a common phenomenon.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 days ago.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: