A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I am having trouble sleeping at night. I tried Nyquil and

Customer Question

I am having trouble sleeping at night. I tried Nyquil and ZZquil and it made me nauseous. Melatonin works to fall asleep but not stay asleep. I tried Xanax and that makes me sleep but makes me feel weird in the morning. I do not want to take prescription meds if I don't have to. What else is there?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I will be helping you today.

I understand your not wanting to take prescription sleep aids. The ingredient that works in the cold medicines is the antihistamine. It has a side effect of making someone drowsy. If you want to try that, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is the one to try.

You can also try lifestyle changes to help sleep. These involve daily exercise (at least 4 hours before bed); avoiding caffeine after 3 p. m.; avoiding alcohol; no screen time within an hour of bed (tablet, telephone, computer, TV). Meditation or yoga to relieve stress at some point daily can also make sleeping easier.

Best regards,

Schuyler

~